The books demanded by different departments are purchased by the Acquisition Unit.
The functions of the Acquisition Unit are as follow:
- The development of library collections (except Serial and Audio-visuals) in consultation with the Polytechnic Librarian.
- The selection of books/monographic series appropriate to the Programmes of the Polytechnic for the Polytechnic Librarian’s consideration and approval.
- Maintaining strong contact and healthy rapport with schools and departments with a view to obtaining necessary cooperation in stock development and getting acquainted with new courses and Programmes.
- Receiving and collating requests for titles from both staff and students.
- Reviewing Publishers’ announcements and catalogues for selection purposes.
- Routing publishers’/book sellers’ catalogues to appropriate Academic staff.
- Conducting regular surveys of the stock to determine the adequacy or gaps in the various Programmes of the Polytechnic.
- Report on enquires from book sellers.
- Keeping accurate records of purchases and invoice sent for payment.
- Participating in the preparation of budget estimates as it relates to the Acquisition unit.
- The compilation of accurate statistics of books order, books processed.
- Processing of the acquired books before sending them to cataloguing Unit.
- Physical checking of bibliographic tools to ensure that the items selected for acquisition are not duplicated.
- Receiving of the acquired books in the Library from dealers and check them to ensure that they are the same as appeared on the order forms.
- Inviting the Internal Audit to come and inspect the books acquired.
- Processing of the acquired books by stamping, accessioning and entering details on the cataloguing worksheet and the computer system before transferring them to the cataloguing unit.