This section provides resources to the Library patrons for home reading in and outside the Library. The resources are arranged on the shelves with the Library of Congress Classification Scheme. The Readers’ Services Section is the image-maker of every Library.
The Section comprises of the following Units namely:
The Unit is in charge of the following:
- Conducting practical orientation for new students and staff.
- Registration of new Library Users i.e. staff and students.
- Renewal of Library tickets for staff and students.
- Charging and Discharging of books.
- Keeping statistics of the following:
- Library Users
- Books borrowed and consulted.
- Provide easy access to Library Materials for Library Patrons by introducing them to manual and Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC).
- Shelving and shelf Reading of Library Materials.
- Displaying of newly acquired books to create current awareness services (CAS).
- Providing selective dissemination information services (SDI).
Materials in the Circulation Unit are of two types namely:
- Open access: These are materials, which are of numerous copies.
- Close access: These are materials with limited number of copies and are heavily demanded for; they are shelved in the reserved shelves. Reserved shelf is a sub unit within the circulation Unit.
The Reference Unit houses subject and general reference materials.
The subject reference materials are those materials on a specific subject matter. They are shelved along side with books on the Open access, while general reference materials are those materials which cut across general knowledge and are shelved in Reference Unit.
Reference materials are for study, research and teaching. This section renders the following services:
- Reference services
- Bibliography services
- Indexing services
- Abstracting services
- Readymade Answer to specific enquiries
The Serials Unit contains current and back issues of both Foreign and Local Journals, Magazines, Newspapers, Special Collections, such as Government Publication, Inaugural Lecture Series and other significant collections.
- The Unit is headed by a Serial Librarian.
- The Unit consists of Electronic and Print Journals and Periodicals.
- Foreign and Local Newspapers can be consulted electronically.
- They contain most current materials.
To get more information about the Readers’ Services Section, please check the Library Guide.